Business Support Officer
Would you like to join an organisation taking real action for people and the environment?
PECT is an independent charity creating sustainable places by supporting the reduction of resource use, enhancing the natural environment, educating on the changes needed and improving the health and wellbeing of communities that we work with.
Based at the entrance to a country park on the outskirts of Peterborough, PECT is a fun and dynamic place to work. We deliver real impact and benefits for the environment and our values are based around our team, partners and those we work with:
- People – Strong and vibrant team who are committed to sustainability
- Change – Creating sustainable places that are better for people and the environment
- Expertise – Use knowledge and experience to design and deliver meaningful impact
- Together – We take collaborative action to create positive change
We are looking for a proactive and enthusiastic candidate to join our Investors in the Environment (iiE) team. This is an entry position with the ideal candidate being enthusiastic and eager to learn as well as supporting the wider team on a range of projects within the iiE portfolio of services. This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual to start their career in the environmental consultancy sector.
Purpose of role:
iiE is a national environmental accreditation scheme designed to help businesses reduce their impact on the environment through practical, engaging measures. iiE membership includes support for businesses to adopt a robust environmental policy, use resources efficiently, create targets and actions to support wider sustainability improvements, and get recognised for their successes. In 2020, members saved over 14,000 tonnes of CO2e and significantly reduce costs for energy, water, waste, and other resources.
The purpose of the role is to provide high-quality environmental management support and auditing to members of iiE, providing regular guidance to support their accreditation journey. The candidate will work directly with members to support them on their sustainability journeys, helping them to understand the environmental impact and take steps to improve. The successful candidate will aim to achieve significant improvements in the environmental performances of the clients supported, delivering greenhouse gas reductions, tangible cost savings, and other reputational benefits.
Based: This position will be based at PECT’s offices: Ham Lane House, Ham Lane, Peterborough PE2 5UU.
Closing Date for applications: 6th February 2022
Interview Date: Ongoing
Start Date: ASAP
Hours/Week: 37 hours (although part-time hours will be considered)
Work outside normal hours: Occasional evening and weekend work may be required, typically for events
Reports to: Responsible Resource Use Lead
- Working primarily with national iiE members, the candidate will:
- Provide regular telephone or video call support and advice on EMS development in alignment with the iiE criteria
- Carry out annual iiE audits, including site visits and issuing high-quality accreditation reports
- Assist with the planning and delivery of iiE member events
- Support iiE marketing campaigns and contribute valuable content for our newsletters, e-shots, and website
- Enter and maintain accurate data on the project CRM system
- To maintain and continually improve their own knowledge of Environmental Management and Environmental Legislation and work towards the achievement of further professional qualifications, such as Associate membership with IEMA
- Undertake a range of day-to-day project administration activities including using excel, word and PowerPoint.
- Ensure that all processes are completed in a timely, accurate and compliant manner at the prescribed quality in accordance with quality procedures.
- Any other reasonable tasks requested by the line manager
- Seek opportunities to develop new/extend existing work and income streams for PECT. This could be through project development, fundraising and/or partnership working.
- Passionate about sustainability and about providing a professional quality service
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain relationships with people at all levels
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to work effectively under pressure to meet targets and handle issues that arise
- Ability to make decisions and act on own initiative; to self-motivate to ensure successful project outcomes.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, ability to understand objectives and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrable experience in managing multiple tasks/activities/events at one time.
- IT literate especially in Microsoft Office Software
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Able to work independently and use own initiative
- Willingness to learn and undertake training where appropriate
- Ability to travel to remote locations locally and to locations outside of the East region
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in an environmental, business or science-related discipline
- Experience providing excellent customer care.
- Knowledge of resource efficiency and understanding of how organisations can improve their environmental performance.
- Be committed to continuous professional development.
- Experience in maintaining and developing administrative systems.
- Enthusiasm for and understanding of environmental/sustainable development issues, including the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Apply for this role
Please send a covering letter and CV to [email protected]. We prefer to receive applications electronically; however, we understand not everyone has access to the internet, therefore you can also post your application to the address below.
You may be contacted for a brief telephone interview before the formal interviews. If shortlisted for interview you will be required to prepare a presentation or complete a brief task, relevant to the role, as part of the interview.
If you have any questions about this role please contact April Sotomayor, [email protected]
Postal address: PECT, Ham Lane House, Ham Lane, Peterborough PE2 5UU
For some activities, such as working directly with children on a regular basis, a DBS check may be required.
This is a description of the job, as it is constituted at the date shown. It is the practice of the Trust periodically to examine job descriptions, update them and ensure that they relate to the job performed, or to incorporate any proposed changes. The appropriate Manager in consultation with the post holder will conduct this procedure.
In these circumstances it will be the aim to reach agreement on reasonable changes, but if agreement is not possible management reserves the right to make changes to your job description following consultation.
The Job Description was compiled by April Sotomayor on 7/1/2022.