PECT is an independent charity that is helping to protect and enhance the environment. Our vision is to create sustainable places, where the natural environment is healthy, communities are involved in their area, health and well-being is improved for all, and where resource use is responsible and doesn’t compromise the needs of others, now and into the future. We champion sustainable practices to leave a lasting legacy for future generations.
Purpose of role:
To manage PECT’s financial functions to ensure the most effective and efficient use of resources, and the long term financial sustainability of the Trust. The role will lead on planning, organising, controlling, and monitoring PECT’s financial resources in line with the strategic direction of the organisation. The role will support senior management team colleagues and the Board to deliver PECT’s strategic plan.
Based: This position will be based at PECT’s offices: Ham Lane House, Ham Lane, Peterborough PE2 5UU. Remote working will be considered.
Salary (per annum pro rata): £35,000 – £38,000 pro rata
Closing Date for applications: Rolling applications welcomed
Contract Term: Permanent
Interview Date: TBC
Start Date: TBC
Hours/Week: 20 hours per week – flexible working options
Work outside normal hours: Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
- To be accountable to the CEO and PECT’s Board of Trustees for the management of PECT’s finances through regular reporting
- Ensure legal compliance and regular reviews of finance related organisational policies, recommending amendments to the CEO and the Board of Trustees as appropriate
- Follow the established financial management model to ensure the achievement of strategic objectives
- Ensure the procurement practices and contracts are reviewed periodically to ensure service standards are achieved and value for money
- Advise the Senior Management Team and Board of Trustees on all financial matters affecting the charity, including tax and VAT, unrestricted, designated and restricted funding, and capital and revenue expenditure
- Manage the existing financial management system to assist organisational development, to maximise performance efficiency, and to ensure compliance with regulatory commitments
- Manage and monitor the Trust’s budgets, cash flow, banking, finances and payroll, including the provision of financial and management reports
- Support the Company Secretary with duties and obligations laid down by Companies House and the Charity Commission
- Day to day management of the finance function, including sales invoices, purchase invoices, payment runs, tax returns, bank reconciliation, debtors, monthly/period end processes, assets and depreciation
- Prepare year end finances and manage the audit process
- Undertake ad-hoc financial activities as required
- Support other PECT business and environment initiatives as required.
Specific tasks include:
- Month end preparation and reporting
- Board pack preparation and presentation – Board meet six times per year
- Balance sheet reconciliations
- Sales ledger processing, queries & debt collection
- Purchase ledger processing, queries and payment runs
- Cashflow forecasting
- Budget & forecast preparation and reporting
- Absorption costing / external staff charge out rates
- Project reporting and support
- VAT returns
- Expenses and payroll payments, including PAYE
- Charity Commission Returns
- Ad hoc finance modelling and queries
- Audit lead
- Team support on project finances and funder reporting
- Recognised accounting qualification
- Experience of at least 3 years of financial management within a small/medium organisation
- Experience of Board reporting
- Understanding of financial operations and governance within charities and trading companies
- Knowledge of European project funding
- Strong overview of tax and legal issues
- Proficient in use of financial systems such as Xero
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to interpret financial information for members of the Board and senior management
- Excellent communication skills
- Analytical and data systems skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Knowledge and experience of charity accounting
Apply for this role
For more information about the role please read the Role Profile. Please send a covering letter and CV to [email protected]. We prefer to receive applications electronically; however, we understand not everyone has access to the internet, therefore, you can also post your application to the address below.
You may be contacted for a brief telephone interview before the formal interviews. If shortlisted for interview you may be required to prepare a presentation or complete a brief task, relevant to the role, as part of the interview.
Postal address: PECT, Ham Lane House, Ham Lane, Peterborough PE2 5UU
For some activities, such as working directly with children on a regular basis, a DBS check may be required.
To comply with GDPR regulations we will be securely storing your application for a period of 6 months. Once these 6 months have expired your application will be securely removed from our system. You have the right to request access to any information PECT holds about you. For more information, please visit www.pect.org.uk/Privacy-Policy.