Woodland volunteers and craft workers
Nene Coppicing & Crafts is a Community Interest Company run by volunteers and dedicated to promoting heritage woodland skills, conservation and crafts. Join us for event days, volunteering, and to buy or commission locally and sustainably produced goods.
- Assisting the existing team of volunteers to work in some areas of the Castor Hanglands National Nature Reserve, restoring traditional woodlands, conserving the woodland and practicing traditional crafts.
- Assisting the team to produce useful items for sale by traditional methods – such as charcoal burning.
- Working with others to engage visitors and demonstrating traditional willow-working skills to produce craft work and basket work.
- Managing the willow beds at Nene Park.
- Physical work of all kinds, such as clearing woodland using saws and loppers.
- Making new deer-proof barriers and planting trees. There will be an opportunity to learn new traditional green woodworking skills in order to make articles for sale or to keep.
- Loading charcoal kilns and assisting in the burning process, emptying the kilns and bagging the charcoal.
Apply for this role
Specific training can be provided for certain tasks but mostly this is ‘learning on the job’ by observing and listening to experienced volunteers who are happy to pass on their knowledge and experience.
Some external courses may be available for very specific skills.
For more information about Nene Coppicing & Crafts, visit www.nenecoppicingandcrafts.co.uk. For more details about volunteering please call Andrea on 07954 590427 or Andrew on 01733 380468. Alternatively, you can email email@example.com.