With the government looking to offer smart meters to over 26 million households across the UK, we thought we would address some common myths and provide some helpful tips on the benefits of using a smart meter. Smart meters can be installed free of charge through your energy company. They have an easy to use in-house portable display which shows you:
- What you’re spending in pounds and pence in near real time.
- Which appliances are using the most energy.
- A comparison of your real-time usage to the previous week, month or year.
All of these simple options can help in multiple ways:
- Say goodbye to estimated bills – smart meters can determine the actual energy you use.
- It shows you exactly what you’re spending in pounds and pence in near real time, allowing you to save money on your energy bills.
- It can show you which appliances are using the most energy and allow you to cut your CO2 emissions and become more sustainable.
- For pre-pay users, it makes it much easier to top up your credit. No more keys, cards or inconvenient visits to the shop.
Ultimately, smart grids have the potential to solve lots of our energy problems. It will better match our energy supply and demand. It’s more efficient, greener, and will reduce our energy waste. It can allow unexpected power outages can be tackled faster. To learn more about smart meters and the smart meter roll out, check out: https://www.smartenergygb.org/en