National Tree Week is a great chance for you to do something positive for your local treescape and to get involved with making a difference! This year the campaign takes place between 25th November and 3rd December 2017.
This is the UK’s largest annual celebration of trees, and is a great chance for communities to get involved in planting trees across the country. The UK’s tree planting figures remain low, with the UK still maintaining its position as one of the least wooded countries in Europe.
Two projects are aiming to make a difference in Peterborough, and you can get involved too!
Forest for Peterborough, run by the charity PECT, is aiming to plant over 180,000 trees in and around the city and surrounding countryside by 2030 – one tree for every person in the city.
Nene Park Trust’s Moments with Trees is a two-year Heritage Lottery funded project. This project is all about increasing understanding and offering opportunities to participate in a large range of tree themed activities and events.
This National Tree Week, Peterborough residents can join in with the following events:
Forest for Peterborough
- Tree Planting Day – 25th November, 10.30am-4pm
Site adjacent to 6 Lincoln Road, Peterborough PE6 7LW
- Tree Planting Day – 2nd December, 10.30am-4pm
Sacrewell Farm, Thornhaugh, Peterborough PE8 6HJ
- Tree Giveaway at the Tree Dressing Day, 3rd December, 10am-3pm
Olive Branch Community Garden, Dogsthorpe, Peterborough PE1 4PT
You can register your attendance on 07715 372432 or by emailing [email protected]. All equipment will be supplied and no prior skills are required. All ages are welcome! For more information, email [email protected] or visit www.pect.org.uk. You can also find the charity on Twitter @SustainableCity.
Moments with Trees
- Launch of two self-guided tree ID trails, via the TiCL application, in Woodston Reach and Lynch Wood – 25th November
- Pot a Tree and Christmas Tree Cookies – 25th November, 11am-4pm
At the Christmas Fair, Ferry Meadows
- Winter Tree ID (for absolute beginners) event – 26th November, 11am-1pm
Booking required. Ferry Meadows
- Planting 3,000 trees and shrubs – 28th November, 10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-3.30pm
The Moments with Trees team aims to plant 3,000 trees and shrubs on at the Woodland’s sport field in Castor to replace the recently felled Poplars. Drop-in to lend a hand! There is parking available at the Woodland’s Sport’s Centre (off Splash Lane).
- Tree Dressing Day Event – 3rd December, 11.30am-2pm