Well, what a Christmas present we received at WestRaven Big Local Community Café & Garden! The contractors agreed a date to commence the refit of the shop units, and sure enough they arrived early on the 3rd of January 2017 to start the renovation.
After moving the last of the items we had stored in the building, we handed over the keys. The plan is a twelve-week program, so we should get the keys back by the end of March 2017. We are planning an opening event for Easter Monday 17th April 2017.
Over the last few months, WestRaven Big Local has been out and about in the community, helping raise awareness for local organisations. Just some of the activities we have arranged have included:
• Hosted Britain’s Best Breakfast at Hartwell Court for residents in aid of Carers Trust.
• Produced cakes for Ravensthorpe Primary School and Cross Keys Homes in aid of Macmillan coffee morning.
• Food demonstrations at the PECT Green Festival.
• Teamed up with Metal and the Women’s Institute to raise awareness of food waste.
• Cooked some festive rolls for Ravensthorpe Primary School’s Christmas Fare.
• In partnership with Sue Ryder, hosted a Winter Fete in Stafford Hall.
• Held our First Community ‘Meet and Eat’ in Stafford Hall with Christmas singers.
Look out for the Community ‘Meet and Eats’ – they’re a great way to get involved in what’s happening in Westwood and Ravensthorpe. It is an ideal opportunity to meet residents and share a meal, chatting with others because being sociable is good for the soul and general well-being!
Kevin Earl is the Big Local Community Café Manager. For more information about WestRaven Big Local please see the Facebook page.
Table of food waste collected from local supermarket
Kevin cooking breakfast for residents of Hartwell Court